1. “Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. – 1 Corinthians 13:4-7 (New International Version Bible)
2. Patience is the greatest expression of love. – Paradise by Toni Morrison
3. Respect, understanding and compromise form the foundation of any strong relationship.
4. Do not sacrifice your self-respect for love.
5. “No one is perfect. Find the worst in your mate and ask yourself if you can live with that.” – Reverend Al Sharpton
6. Everyone has to compromise sometimes. The real test is in figuring out what to compromise on and what your non-negotiables are.
7. Choose to love someone who is worthy of your compromises.
8. “I’m sorry” is not a four-letter word.
9. Make a list of the qualities you find most important in a mate. We change and grow, so never stop refining and revising that list.
10. Know when to let go.
What lessons have you learned about love?